Fall is always a busy time for us, and this quick and easy recipe for sourdough discard flatbread pizzas is great for lunch or even a quick dinner. It’s a bonus that it uses up some sourdough discard without many extra dishes or ingredients needed. I love having a sourdough starter, but sometimes I find it hard to keep up with using the discard before it goes bad, especially during busier seasons of life. That’s why I started making flatbreads and finding delicious ways to enjoy them! This flatbread pizza is delicious, but if you don’t like a strong sourdough flavor, I suggest adding a cup of flour and a cup of water to your discard before baking it to slightly dilute the flavor.
2 cups sourdough discard, unfed
Pizza sauce of choice
Mozzarella Cheese, fresh or shredded
Toppings of choice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a cast iron or stainless steel pan and heat over medium-low.
- Once the pan is hot, pour ½ cup of sourdough discard into the pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes before flipping (like a pancake) and cook the other side until done.
- Once the flatbreads are finished, top with your favorite pizza sauce, cheese, and toppings.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing and eating!
Did you know you can make a delicious sourdough flatbread with nothing but your sourdough discard and seasonings? It’s a really quick and easy way to use up discard without a lot of effort.