Chocolate cake with frozen whipped cream topping will be one of your favorites! This cake is light and delicious! It’s not overly chocolatey so even non-chocolate lovers will enjoy this tasty dessert. You can choose to make this cake as cupcakes (pictured) or you can use 2 round or square cake pans. While the recipe calls for frozen whipped cream topping, you can also top these with a delicious buttercream frosting for an equally delicious treat!
Makes 24 cupcakes or 2 square or round cake pans.
½ cup butter, room temperature
1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour milk*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 ounces chocolate, melted**
*Substitute for sour milk: Place one tablespoon white vinegar in a measuring cup, then fill the rest of the way with milk and allow to sit for 5 minutes before adding to the recipe.
**I used Baker’s semi-sweet chocolate baking bar; however, you can use melted chocolate chips if that’s
what you have on hand.
***You can use our homemade whipped cream recipe! Make it first to place in the freezer until the cake is ready for serving.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and beat together well.
- Add flour, salt, and baking soda. Mixing well.
- Add sour milk and vanilla.
- Stir in melted chocolate until well combined.
- Bake! For cupcakes, bake about 18-20 minutes, or about 35 minutes for 2 cake pans. Test the center with a toothpick to ensure it is done.
- Serve warm with frozen whipped cream topping!