Here is another guest post by my lovely friend, Shannon, sharing her grandmother’s delicious Apple Cake recipe with us!
It is October and that means two things: pumpkins and apples! My family and I recently took some time to go apple picking. After we picked 24 pounds of apples I knew I would be making my Grandmom’s apple cake recipe. I’ve taken the original recipe and reduced the sugar to let the natural sugar of the apples shine.
Apple cake was a staple at all fall gatherings with my grandmother. This cake is full of memories and joy. It is sweet and tart with a spicy cinnamon bite. I hope you enjoy it and include it in some of your fall festivities!
3 cups diced apples
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup sugar
2.5 tsp vanilla
1 cup oil
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp orange zest
2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a tube or bundt pan.
- Peel and chop apples, sprinkle with cinnamon and 2 tsp of sugar. You can omit the sugar if you like. Mix and let sit.
- Combine flours, salt, baking powder and orange rind. Mix and set aside.
- In a mixer add eggs, sugar, vanilla and orange juice. Mix well. Add half of the flour mixture to batter. Mix on low. Drizzle in half the oil. Scrape down sides. Repeat with the remainder of flour and oil.
- Spoon a little batter in the bottom of pan. Then layer half of the apples in the pan evenly. Top with half of the batter and repeat with the remaining apples and batter.
- Bake for 55 mins to 1 hour.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes before turning out onto a plate.
- Slice and enjoy!!
Leave a Reply